MONTAIGNE #2: ON EDUCATION
I found this expert thought-provoking. Most of my time here I have found to be reading long articles and essays so reading this short, but sweet expert to be quite refreshing. Anyway, this expert rings the bell of truth within me for a few reasons. The part that really stuck with me was "Often, books need not be used at all.  One learns dancing by dancing; one learns to play the lute by playing the lute.  The same is true of thinking, and indeed of living" along with "Traveling is useful; so is socializing, which teaches the child to be open to others and to adapt to anyone he finds around him". Most of the things that I have learned and remember are things I investigated myself. My career and my skills were things I mastered myself. Few things i remember from the book though I am fond of learning things through books I'm willing to read myself. To summarize, the things I find important are things that I've learned myself. The second quote I find true since I have lacked in the socialization area of life for some time. I dread talking to another being in fear of making myself appear a fool. I am awkward and it is hard for me to find words to make conversation. I haven't seen school as a culprit of my weakness, but now I have a new view toward my shortcoming. I am still trying to improve in little ways each day; it hasn't been an easy task for me, but it is a skill that I want to improve upon.

Comments

Popular Posts