SOCRATIC METHOD
On August 16, 2018 I read, along with my class, something called the Socratic Method. I found it to be quite interesting, but I am also left with my own ideas and questions. I liked the fact that the students was never mocked or made to feel less important than the teacher even though the student remarked that he did not care what the teacher had to say about his life choice. But let me go back a bit, their summarized conversation was about the teacher asking about who valued status and a student answered with there really isn't anything else to live for. I would honestly like to say that status is of no importance to me, but I find that it is necessary in many things that need to be done in everyone's lives. Students need to make themselves better for their peers in order to go to a university, people need to outshine competition in order to land a job, and animals fight to keep their home on our planet needing help from humans who know them. The sad truth is that status is an important part of the lives on our planet. However, I do not wish for fame and fortune, but I do wish to be remembered by my family and friends. In order to be remembered on the other hand I'd need to do something memorable or important to them. Which makes me ask is becoming someone to be remembered the same thing as gaining status? Many go behind the "good guy" or the "underdog" while they hate on the "villian" or the "bully" who are also people like the hero who have their own feelings and their own stories where they might be a hero within it. Nonetheless, there is also an innocent way to be remembered. We can remember the little things people do like greeting us with a warm smile each mornings, eating with you each morning, reminding you that you had that meeting ya needed to go to, telling you funny jokes, and spending just a little time with you every day. And then I reflect back to the moment the teacher said that we should see each other as equals not as superior which brings me back to the beginning of the entire conversation, status. If  people made the decision to make status unimportant, how greatly would that change our society and could the change result in peace?

Comments

Popular Posts