MY THOUGHTS ON SHAKESPEARE'S WORDS
1.       Banquo says: Thou hast it now—King, Cawdor, Glamis, all/ As the weird women promised, and I fear/ Thou played’st most foully, for’t.
·     
 Literal Interpretation: You have been them all now-King, Cawdor, Glamis; just like the witches had said and I'm afraid that you've achieved them all through through foul ways, have you not.
·   
   Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation: You've been them all. King, Cawdor, and King, Just like the witches had sain. I'm most certain, and scared to know that I'm sure you've done so through hellish ways.

2.       Macbeth says: They hailed him father to a line of kings./ Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown/ And put a barren scepter in my grip.
·     
 Literal Interpretation: They had said Duncan would be a great father to a line of kings Yet now they place a crown upon my undeserving head and a plain scepter in my simple hands.
·       
Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation:King Duncan was an amazing king whom I looked up to . Many Of us had though that he would be father of a great line of kings yet this crown and scepter are pathetically handed down to my normal undeserving hands

3.       Lady Macbeth says: Naught’s had, all’s spent,/ Where our desire is got without content./ ‘Tis safer to be that which we destroy/ Than by destruction dwell in doubtful joy.
·     
Literal Interpretation:  They got what they had desired but are still not content. It can be thought that it is better to be murdered than to be the murderer who lives his entire life with the guilt and anxiety.
·     
 Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation: Despite getting what they had wanted they are not satisfied. He must long to be murdered instead of being the murderer who's tormented by this deed for the entirety of their life.

4.       Macbeth says: Better be with thee,/ Whom we, to gain our peace, have sent peace,/ Than on the torture of the mind to lie/ In restless ecstasy.
·     
Literal Interpretation: We have sent Banquo to peace after killing him and now he doesn't have to worry about life and all its troubles.
·       
Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation: Banquo, now being dead, does not have to deal with all of life's troubles and can now eternally rest in peace and happiness.

5.       Macbeth says: I am in blood/ Stepped so far that, should I wade no more,/ Returning were as tedious as go o’er.
·     
Literal Interpretation: I have already murdered so much that it would take to long to clear my conscience so I might as well continue with my murders.
·       
Symbolic/Thematic Interpretation: Having walked this far in the river of blood, the river of my victims, it would be long to walk out of it so i might as well keep moving forward and continue my murderous trek.

Comments

Popular Posts